Banned Books and your Bookshelf

          When looking at the American Library Association's list of banned and challenged books from the year 2010, I noticed a couple that I have read before. First, I read the book Twilight. This book was all the craze when I was a teenager because it tailored to almost every girl's perfect vision of a boyfriend where she is the center of his attention. I was surprised when seeing this on the list of banned or challenged books. When seeing it on the list, I immediately thought that it must be because of the book targeting a young, teenage age group, but that some of the content wasn't appropriate for that age group reading the Twilight book. I then looked over and saw that the reason it was on this list was because of "religious viewpoints and violence". The violence makes sense because there are vampires who rip others apart, limb by limb, but I'm not understanding why this book is going against religious viewpoints. The only thing that comes to mind is that a vampire may seem devilish, but other than that, this claim was confusing to me. Another book that was on the 2010 list was a book called Crank. I've read this book as well when I was in high school, and after refreshing my memory on what happened in the book, the reasons it was on the list of banned or challenged books made sense. The reasons for it being there are because it has drugs, offensive language, and is sexually explicit. They could have added in that it is also not age appropriate, and violent.
           It's obvious that I think schools should limit student's access to certain books. There are books like the one stated above called Crank, that have horrible events occur, events that a young teenager may not realize the magnitude those events have on real people in real life. I know I was naive enough as a younger teenager to read what I was reading and never connect those events to actually happening in the real world. I can imagine other people would react the same, leaving me to think that these books should be more regulated in schools. Others can be argued as to whether they should be banned or more regulated, but there are some that should be banned completely without a doubt.
          In my own "library" of books, I don't have much. A large portion of my books are nursing textbooks. I'm going into my last year of nursing school, so I've bought a lot of nursing textbooks that are all stacked in my room. Along with those, I have some personal development books, a few romance novels, a bible, and some other random books I've collected over the years. These all tell a story of what kind of person I am. The textbooks tell someone I'm a student, and a learner. The romance novels say I like to relax to a book that I don't have to really be engaged in to be able to know what's going on, as these books are usually pretty mindless. What my collection says even more though is that I don't read that much. I love to read a good book, but I don't have time with school, which is why I don't have very many books in my small collection.

Comments

Popular Posts